This course is targeted for IT professionals who are responsible for the configuration and administration of an HPSS solution (e.g., current or future HPSS administrators) but also for people who are interested in learning more about HPSS.
After completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of major HPSS software components.
- Manage an HPSS system.
- Identify and resolve common operational problems.
- Utilize HPSS utilities and the HPSS command line interface.
Delivery Type / Course Format:
The HPSS 10.3 Training Course will either be delivered via a traditional instructor-led format with hands-on exercises. We are also providing the option to participate via virtual classroom (web-based) delivery but without the benefit of hands-on exercises and face-to-face collaboration with other students and instructors.
For the instructor-led virtual classroom option, registered students will have access via the web and will be sent a URL for the training session. The instructor will lead the class through the course material, which will be displayed for all students using Webex (see below). Students attending virtually will have the ability to participate to a large extent as if on-site (e.g., ask/answer questions electronically or verbally) but without benefits of exercises as well as collaboration and networking with other people.
The HPSS 10.3 Training Course offers an overview of the components that make up the HPSS software and the dependencies of these components on their environment to perform data storage services.
The class consists of the following:
Discussion sessions with the HPSS team members: They share their field experiences on HPSS/Db2 systems engineering, management, and troubleshooting.
The HPSS 10.3 Training Course is for IT professionals whose primary focus is the configuration and maintenance of an HPSS system. The course goes deeper into core HPSS system administration skills, including storage hierarchy setup, volume management, security management, database configuration and maintenance, task control, troubleshooting, HPSS tool usage (including but not limited to dump_sspvs, lsvol, recover, repack, etc.), and backup and restore functionality.
Students should have previous Linux system administration experience or training.
The virtual classroom (web-based) training will utilize Webex, which supports various browsers, depending on your operating system. View https://www.webex.ca/en/support/support-system-requirements.html for complete details.
Participation in hands-on exercises is included with course fees but is an optional activity. To participate in hands-on exercises, students attending the course in Houston must bring a laptop computer with them to access Houston HPSS lab machines and training resources. Sorry, we are unable to provide students with laptops or other computer resources to participate in exercises.
Registration, Payment and Cancellation Instructions:
- Please fill in the information in the registration form below before the registration deadline of April 5, 2024.
- Payment methods are: (1) company issued purchase order, (2) company issued check, (3) credit card (American Express, Visa, or MasterCard), or (4) wire transfer. Please indicate the payment method on the registration form below. Based on the payment method, additional payment instructions will be provided to the student. Payment must be received prior to the payment deadline of April 19, 2024.
- Cancellation Policy: Cancellations received after April 19, 2024, are subject to a cancellation fee of 25% of the course fee. If there is a need to cancel, please notify Marsha Hagner.
- No-Show Policy: Participants that are registered for the course and fail to attend are subject to a no-show fee of 100% of the course fee.
Fees for the course do not include the following:
- Meals, other than lunch on training days
- Travel Expenses
Students attending this course in person should make travel arrangements ahead of time. Contact Marsha Hagner for travel-related questions, directions, and other logistical information.
The HPSS class will be held in the IBM facility located at 12301 Kurland Drive, Suite 300, Houston, TX 77034. Driving information can be found on the HPSS website under the heading “Directions” Contact Us – HPSS Collaboration (hpss-collaboration.org). Please plan to register your vehicle and sign-in at the security desk in the building lobby.
The IBM facility is on the third floor of the building and is access controlled, so you may have to wait for someone to let you inside. You will need to sign in and out each day, and obtain an IBM visitor badge upon sign-in. Please return your badge when you leave at the end of the day and plan to use it the following day.
Please note, when in the IBM facility, your assigned IBM badge must always be visible and worn.
All HPSS training is offered pursuant to terms and conditions equivalent to those in the IBM’s GSA MAS Schedule GS-35F-110DA and applicable General Provisions of this schedule. Use of HPSS software requires an executed HPSS License Agreement.
For further information on the HPSS 10.3 Training Course, please contact Marsha Hagner at email@example.com.